Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Expectations for English 721

I forfeited a chance to take the perfect last class to complete my Spanish minor with my favorite Spanish teacher to jump on Sandy's ship and sign up for Multimedia. Why? Partly because it's not being offered next semester and partly because I think video and online media outlets are going to be the most important answers to solving the problems journalism faces now.

There's a reason why YouTube grew so rapidly in popularity: videos are quick, fun and often carry a much heavier meaning than anything people can write nowadays. There are some exceptions, of course, but video certainly plays an equalizing role in that regard. I'd rather watch a three-minute video with a powerful message than read a beautifully written, three-page article, and I'd guess that most people would agree.

So, how does this all tie in to my expectations for English 721, Multimedia? Well, I want to learn more and practice, practice, practice. I know my way around all sorts of design and editing software, but I want to spend class time expanding my knowledge and coming out with a finished product that I can show with my portfolio and resume upon graduating.

The day of the old, grouchy journalist who's been reporting for 40 years is done; newspapers are looking more and more for young college students who know their way around Final Cut and have the ability to tell amazing stories through audio, video and pictures. While I don't think print newspapers are going away anytime soon or maybe ever, the balance of power has shifted in favor of the Internet and iPhones, so we too as students need to get with the program and learn as much as we can about multimedia before walking out into the real world. That's my plan and that's exactly why I took this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment